Friday, October 5, 2007

DIY Pontoon Build Update 4

Hi Folks, 4th update here and I'm happy to say it is almost done!


Here we have an admitidly dark photo of the pontoons with the
deck in place. It has really come together well in my opinion, especially for a first build attempt (ok, enough of the back patting). The coolest thing about this photo is the fan in the background, it *is* on high yet it looks like it's off. :)




Here you can see the exquisite craftsmanship that
went into this build, notice how the deck supports sit not flush with the pontoons, but gapped instead... god bless wood flour, fiberglass and epoxy resin! It was a mistake on my part for trying to multitask (I work on/with computers all day, multitasking is second nature, go figure) and while the epoxy was curing on the pontoons I started glueing and screwing together the deck instead of following the instructions and glueing the supports to the pontoons and then the deck to the supports.


On the right side you can see another big gap between the supports and the pontoon. I believe this will be ok as the support itself is resting on the bulkhead and I filled in the gap(s) with a woodflour and resin mix, waited for it to cure and then the two coats of fiberglass and resin but only time will tell.

No comments: